Your marital status on your tax retum is determined on December 31. If you got married on or before that date,. you file a “married filing joint” or “married filing separate” return for the entire year. If you got divorced in the current tax year and the divorce was final by December 31, then you file as a “single” person for the entire year. If you have others living in your household, then you may be able to file “head of household”. If you had any marital status changes, give us a call at 503.723.4223 to help you determine the correct marital status for filing. This information is necessary to calculate the proper withholding amounts for wages, unemployment or other special types of income.